Western Economic Services, LLC (WES) has been conducting economic and demographic analysis, market research, forecasting, and strategic planning services for the last thirty-five years, since being established in 1986.
While WES is a relatively small firm, having eight key staff professionals, the thirty-five year operating history is testament to our fiscal stability and service reliability. Furthermore, most of the work is conducted in our Portland, Oregon office, but we also have employees in California, Mississippi, and Pennsylvania.
WES specializes in housing and community development planning, with particular expertise in the following areas:
- Creating housing needs assessments
- Researching and preparing housing market evaluations
- Preparing analyses of impediments to fair housing choice
- Conducting housing and community development evaluations
- Illuminating economic and community development opportunities
- Guiding and facilitating housing policy and strategic planning processes
Our business philosophy and mission statement are driven in large part by our commitment, ethics, and operating methods. At WES, we conduct customized research to meet each client’s specific needs, and we work closely with those clients to ensure that our research findings and implications are fully understood. We are dedicated to ensuring that our clients are proud of their choices, our products, and the outcomes of their planning activities.
WES has performed long-range planning analysis and studies that are similar in design, scope and content for many jurisdictions. These represent a variety of units of government in the following States: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, and Wyoming, as well as the Commonwealth of the Mariana Islands. These wide ranging and occasionally very large geographic areas indicate our superior ability to grasp and quickly acquire knowledge of local issues, interested parties, and the interplay between groups competing for funding. Furthermore, these demonstrate our willingness and ability to transcend our physical locations and work both cooperatively and closely with our clients.
Our body of work represents a synergy; the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts. The following list represents the most salient parts of our valued business philosophy and explains why our clients continue to use our services:
- WES utilizes a comprehensive approach to all engagements. This orientation emphasizes long-term, beneficial relationships that result in effective client accomplishments.
- WES consistently demonstrates a firm grasp on the depth and breadth of key planning processes and the difficulties likely to be encountered. Our 35 years of experience encompass activities in both the public and private sectors, and our work has continuously delivered valid and reliable results
- Because of our small size, we have the flexibility to adapt quickly to new situations while still maintaining full attention and dedication to client needs. Our proven track record for adapting to 11th-hour modifications, while still remaining on-budget and on-schedule, is a major factor behind the high level of repeat business that we enjoy from our loyal client base.
- A key to our ability to adapt is our individualized approach to every project. Each client engagement has a customized design, emphasizing the unique characteristics of the project. With such tailored methodologies, WES is able to offer highly valued products and services for cost-effective fees in concert with schedules that meet the planning needs of our clients’ overall operations.
- WES’s project designs acknowledge the influence of the political climate. WES understands the critical need within both the private and public sectors for an approval body review process, either of which may be open to competing interests. WES skillfully navigates projects through potentially conflicting opinions while easily fostering a collaborative team spirit.